Thursday, January 27, 2011

03 Extensive reading blog question(Abu Ubaidah)

Blog Question
There are times when family affairs disappoint you. On page 79 ‘Outside the Box’, there are four suggestions on how to handle disappointment. What do you think of each suggestion? If you do not have issues that are family related (include the wider family, adoptive family, guardian), consider other disappointments in your life with other people who are supposedly close to you.
I find that being positive and expressing emotions through writing are good ways to handle disappointment, like in the suggestions. I, however, when disappointed with someone relatively close, will try talking to the person and try my best to change them. Usually, I get disappointed when people hurt themselves. Shouldn’t they value their own lives? I feel that people rarely appreciate the things they already have and look forward to getting more only. Money is a good example. Sure, we need it for school and our necessities but sometimes it becomes an obsession to people and will drive them insane- All out for pieces of special paper with special print that can be exchanged for goods. I value relationships more as without good relations, who would want to sell you food in a calamity? Thats right, you will have to become self dependent for every thing on earth. And the feeling of being alone cannot be changed whether you have money or not. Back to topic, I am hard to disappoint usually. I love being happy and even if a person is hard to accept, I’d try accepting them.(Of course, unless they crossed the line and become too unbearable for my limits). I believe that a good way to stop disappointing or hurting others is to start with yourself, You have to stop disappointing and hurting yourself. This is very true, as once, I used to be very conscious of my image and how I looked “fat” and I used to hurt others a lot because I wasn’t happy with my own looks. I learnt to appreciate myself and others by being overweight and I am glad that God made me this way, he made me learn a lesson I wouldn’t have learnt if I wasn’t this way. So basically, I’d say that disappointment is caused when people set high expectations of others and they can’t live up to it, but to me, disappointment with others is caused by not being happy with yourself to start with. That is truly why I get disappointed whenever people hurt themselves. They tend to get irritable and the sentence “They don’t care about themselves.” haunts me about them. And thinking about what they will do in the future if they hurt themselves now scares my heart out.
*To answer the above question, you could consider if you agree each of the suggestions and decide if they could really be useful in helping you to get over your disappointment(s) with your siblings/parents/cousins/guardians, etc. 

Abu Ubaidah.

2 comments:

  1. I summed up what the statements were trying to tell us and responded to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be giving you more detailed feedback on language. ideas and structure via word/pages document sometime in class next week

    ReplyDelete